Why Wild Whatcom
"If we want children to flourish, to become truly empowered, then let us allow them to love the earth before we ask them to save it." –David Sobel
Wild Whatcom is all about connections – to place, self, community, and this earth.
Experience the fun and transformative powers of the outdoors!
Why the Outdoors?
Because it's good for us!
More and more research points to what we know intuitively - nature promotes healthy lives. Across the country, children are spending too much time indoors, increasingly disconnected from their natural environments and communities. Wild Whatcom is an effective antidote - helping kids become healthy, engaged citizens who care about the earth and relish the outdoors.
Studies show that children who participate in outdoor programs have:
- Stronger self-esteem and sense of purpose
- Improved focus and more positive student attitudes
- Increased physical activity and confidence
- Deeper commitments to environmental stewardship
At the very time we face daunting ecological challenges, we are at risk of losing future leaders. Wild Whatcom provides a solution - developing engaged youth who value nature, understand social responsibility, and lead collaboratively - a new generation of environmental change-makers.
Why Wild Whatcom?
- Outstanding mentors teaching naturalist and leadership skills, with heart.
- Hands-on, proven curriculum inspiring curiosity, engagement, and discovery.
- Inspiration for our future developing young leaders who care about the earth and community, and know how to work together.
- 10+ years experience offering year-round outdoor programs for all ages.
- Ranked by Outside Magazine as one of the 5 best outdoor experiences for kids.
Each year, we
- Explore outside with over 800 people; playing, learning, and connecting.
- Provide 40,000+ "nature hours" - time kids spend outside, immersed in nature.
- Contribute 4,000 hours of service for community partners.
- Discover dozens of new wild places during outings, camps and backpack trips.
- Bring hundreds of families together to explore nature's wonders and share in discovery.